Physical examinations are required for all students in kindergarten, second and fourth grades. Also, students new to the North Syracuse School District. If physical forms have not been received by October 10, or the office notified of an impending appointment, a school physical will be done.
In order to start kindergarten your child must meet the minimum (your child may have more than the minimum) requirements for school entrance:
*Three doses of DPT.
*Three doses of OPV.
*Two doses of MMR.
*Three doses of Hepatitis B.
*One dose of Varicella.
Note that all immunizations must be complete within 5 days of the start of school. Incomplete immunizations will result in exclusion from school.
For a complete timeline of your child's immunization requirements review the New York State Recommended Childhood Vaccination Schedule.
Additional information about vaccines can found at the New York State Department of Health Website.
The New York State Education Law prohibits the dispensing of any medication in schools without a written authorization. A doctor's order is needed for prescription medications as well as those medications purchased over the counter (Tylenol, Motrin, cough syrup, etc.)
The school nurse will administer medication only under the following circumstances:
- A written request from the parent/guardian to administer the medication has been submitted.
- A written physician/dentist statement has been submitted indicating the name of the medication, dosage, the frequency and method of administration and the duration.
- The medication has been delivered directly to the school nurse by the parent/guardian in its original container with the child's name on it.
New York State Education Law requires:
- Hearing screening to be performed annually to students in grades K, 1, and 3, and to all new entrants.
- Vision screening to be performed annually to students in grades K through 3, and all new entrants.
Health Related Links -